Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Candy Box 2

As I said, after playing Candy Box 2 for a decent amount of time, I will make my first post about it (Most definitely not the last, as I believe this will be a rather long game.) Here it is -

I have begun on my quest to - Well, I really don't know yet. The beginning is rather interesting however, as it breaks the fourth wall after you get thirty candies. You request an ability from the developer. The next ones are cheaper, only five candies, and you eventually get the map. This allows you to buy stuff from the candy merchant and forge, and you can do your first quest in the house on the far right.

Completing this quest, of course, allows access to a new feature, the world map. In addition, eating candies actually does something in this game - it increases your health. I imagine this will become necessary with the later quests. There is also more to your inventory, although you do not auto-equip things like you do in the first, which is rather annoying.

The other annoying thing is that quests do not move as quickly if you are running the game in the background, which can be frustrating for those doing other things at the same time (Like writing a blog post.) You do still gain cookies

This is also the first game I have done technical changes in the save data of, as it is very easy to do so. After about a minute in the game, you can get the save data. If you copy it onto a word document, you can edit it. You can set the number of candies, and set whether or not you have some items. I did this, which I feel kind of bad about, but I needed to expedite my game so I could make this post. I gained a small (very small) amount of technical insight into game save coding as well. At least in it's most basic forms.

In addition, I will now take another look at the original Candy Box, as I never got very far with it (It doesn't have a save feature like the new one.)

Spoilers for the game will be the rest of this post. They aren't extreme spoilers though, because I'm not that far. Read at your own RISK.

I really like the way the quests work now, but they are significantly harder. I have also, finally, become able to craft potions.

There is also the dragon, and the ability to fight the developer. The developer is a hilarious fight. He killed me with a black hole. Not to mention that when you first encounter the dragon, its toes HP is literally written as "So much HP." I currently use normal boots, the octopus crown with jasper, the red gloves, and the enchanted monkeys staff, plus enchanted knight armor. I had cheated in the scythe, but I decided it was too powerful and I needed to earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment