Monday, May 12, 2014

Soul Sacrifice Review

A game I recently received from PSN (freely, through PlayStation Plus) is the Vita exclusive Soul Sacrifice. It's extremely dark, but is actually rather fun, and plays around a lot with the idea of morality.

The story is somewhat unique. You are a prisoner, slated to be sacrificed to the sorcerer Magusar. The story is told through a journal, and you go on various missions to stop monsters. The story is told in the pages you read between the missions. Their are six or seven story segments, with twelve side segments with generic quests and no real story, and five side story segments. Along side this, their is the option to fight Magusar at any time, although choosing to do so early in the game will invariably lead to defeat. Their is a good amount of content, and all of the DLC is free.

The characters, while far from deep, are interesting. I am interested in the interactions between the main character and Magusar, his partner turned villain. The side stories revolving around the extra characters are also interesting, but I have only played through that of Carnatux, the "Wicked Sorcerer." I'll say only that it played out differently than the straightforward story I expected of it.

The creatures that you fight in this game look like they came out of the mind of a madman. The boss creatures, or "archfiends," were all originally human, but at some point became desperate for something and sacrificed their humanity, and something else valuable to them, to get something. When you defeat an archfiend, you can choose to sacrifice them, an act of justice (that gives you bonus items and increases your magic level) or you can save them, an act of mercy (which allows them to assist you in later quests, and increases your life level). Of course, the crimes committed by each person is variable, from kidnapping to assassination and the like, to even just laziness, and there are times when you have to sacrifice something or someone. 

Almost invariably I choose save. I feel bad even in games if I kill people, and I feel like I need the defense bonuses more than the offense bonuses anyway, because I really kind of suck at it. It will probably extend my playthrough quite a bit though. The combat is done through using "offerings," which give your character various powers. They allow you to create weapons, form armor, fire off projectiles, or do various special abilities. They add a unique element to the game, and it is by far the most interesting part of combat.

I do like this game, far more than I expected given it's gruesome nature. I find it to be challenging, yet passable, and the story is engaging, if told in a matter-of-fact rather slow way.

If you have PlayStation Network Plus, and a Vita, I recommend picking up this game, if only because it's currently free. If not, try the demo first and see if you like it. It can be rather fun to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment